Team Southern captured its third straight Keith Donoff Men’s Challenge Cup at beautiful Bitsy Grant Tennis Center in Atlanta. The event was played with teams from USTA Midwest and USTA Middle States and a second USTA Southern team due to the unexpected withdrawal of the team from Texas.
Southern served as the host section for this year’s Cup, and the refurbished Bitsy Grant Tennis Center proved to be the perfect site for this elite competition bringing top players from the three sections.
With Texas withdrawing just a few weeks before the event, Steve Duffel, the former Southern Captain for many years, stepped up and recruited a talented second team from Southern which finished in second place.
- 1st place: Southern (Meyers), 49 team points
- 2nd place: Southern (Duffel), 33 team points
- 3rd place: Middle States, 18 team points
- 4th place: Midwest, 7 team points
Led by Donoff Cup veterans like Padg Bolton (LA), Maxime Buyckx (GA), and Tom Smith (GA), the champion Southern team was dominant, winning 51 matches against the other three teams in the 55, 60, 65, and 70 and over divisions.
The winning Southern Team:
- 55 & over: Miles Walker (GA), Al Cannon (SC), Russel Buchi (TN), John Bailey (AR), Drew Meyers (LA) (Captain)
- 60 & over: Maxime Buyckx (GA) Jim Hinson (SC), Tom Smith (GA), Horace Reid (GA)
- 65 & over: Padg Bolton (LA), Andy Steingold (NC), Roger Pearce (GA), Marty Pearson (MS)
- 70 & over: Hugh Thomson (GA), Emile Rasheed (SC), Dan Gruetter (GA)
Tim Noonan served as Tournament Director and Darren Potkey served as Referee.
Article by Steve Duffel, with additional notes by Peter Howell; originally published at USTA Southern.